Starting off paying her respects to the first woman speaker of the Lok Sabha, she set the foundation for her budget by noting that social viability was more important that economic viability.
The budget prioritised security, cleanliness, accessibility, catering, and availability of tickets in terms of where and by whom. Mamata Banerjee made sure, she had something for all sections. From the concessions on tickets of school children and media personnel to ensuring safety and security of women commuters.
Keeping aside all the big promises of 50 World class train stations to the AC Double deckers, one area that is worth noting is the special consideration that this budget gives to the Senior Citizens and the Physically handicapped.
Below are the highlights of the speech:
Mamata Banerjee ends presentation with Urdu Couplet.
- Tatkal Booking time reduced from 5 to 2 days
No increase in freight charges
1: 22 PM
- Kolkata Metro to be expanded
Non Stop trains:Delhi-Lucknow, Kolkata-Mumbai, Delhi-Mumbai, Delhi-Ernakulam, Delhi-Sealdah, Delhi-Bhubaneshwar, Delhi-Jammu Talwi, Mum-Ahmedabad, Delhi -Chennai
- 12 new AC non stop trains to be introduced
More super fast trains introduced
AC Yuva trains to be introduced at Rs 299 to Rs 399
- Ladies Special trains in Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai
Rs 25 monthly passes for those who earn the monthly salary of Rs 1000
Monthly ticket of Rs 25 for employees of unorganised sector
Media personnel to get 50 per cent concession
Madarasa students included in concession scheme
Farmers will get cold storage for their produce
'Ijjat' Scheme for low income monthly travel
Non Stop trains to connect major metros
- The school children of Kolkata to get a discounts on tickets for Kolkata Metro
Mamata Banerjee requests other states to do the same
- The total working expenditure estimated at Rs 81,685 cr
Targets of Interim Budget too high and therefore not sustainable
- Integrated security system for 130 vulnerable stations
To raise commando battalion for railway stations
Women Battalion to be inducted
12: 53 PM
- Girl children of Group B employees to get Scholarship for higher education
A new coach factory to be set up in Kanchrapara in Bengal
Punctuality is one of the priority
SMS updates for passengers on waiting list
Mega logistics hubs in eastern and western corridors
12: 46 PM
- Priority on catering, cleanliness, and accessibility
Railway to lease out more land for commercial purposes
Infotainment services on long distance trains
-309 of the 370 stations identified for development
At least one doctor to be present in long distance trains
Ramps and special bogeys for physically challenged and senior members
-Setting up of double decker coaches
Automatic vending machines o be set up
Passengers can now buy computerised tickets from post offices from 50,000 centres
Special facilities for physically challenged
Better toilet facilities for women at stations
49 stations of religious importance to be developed
Need balance between change and continuity
Mamata invokes Indira Gandhi
Promises all inclusive development
Requests set up of Expert committee on socially unviable projects
Rail projects will be governed by social viability and should not be gauged by economic viability.
-Mamta Banerjee starts of the presentation by pointing out that she is presenting her third Railway budget in the Lok Sabha chaired by the First woman Lok Sabha Speaker.
-Mamata Banerjee arrives at the Parliament.
-Mamata Banerjee was greeted by a crowd of reporters and a flood of questions in the Rail Bhawan; while on her way to the Parliament. The session is expected to begin at 12:00 pm.
Expectations from the budget:
* Budget hotels at stations
* Side middle-berth in passenger trains may go
* Changes in the Tatkal booking scheme
* Waiver on superfast charges
* Revision in passenger fares on the cards
* More rail overbridges and rail underbridges to avoid accidents
* Special package for those in the BPL category
* CCTVs, bomb detection system in key stations
* Access control, baggage screening
* Integrated Security systems in Key Stations
* Incentives for freight transport
* More Garib Raths
After snatching the Railways from Lalu Prasad Yadav, Mamata Banerjee is all set to present the Railway Budget 2009-10.
Banerjee's pro people budget promises include fare revision, Garib Raths, funds for security, seasonal passes measures to avoid accidents, along with her now famous, Rs 20 monthly passes. This page will carry live updates of the budget as it is presented.