London, June 27 (ANI): British monarch Queen Elizabeth II has said that she will not accede to an MPs demand to open Buckingham Palace more often to the public to generate millions in extra revenue for badly needed repairs.
According to The Telegraph, the Commons Public Accounts Committee has urged the royal household to devise a business plan for keeping the building open longer to try to pay for a backlog of maintenance that has risen to 32 million pounds.
At present, the palace is opened to the public for 60 days of the year, generating revenue of five million pounds.
The Queen's advisers have rejected the suggestion because they regard the palace as the headquarters of "The Firm", a place of work that host receptions, investitures and plays host to endless dignitaries.
The MPs' suggestion that the palace could open at weekends, when the building is not being used for official engagements in the same way that the White House is open most of the year, has also been blocked.
A Royal household source said: "It would not be cost-effective as we would have to hire additional staff at weekends which would outweigh any extra revenue coming in. We also do not see how there can be guided tours going on in the week when there are receptions and investitures."
The Queen has requested additional taxpayer funds for repairs as the 15 million pound annual grant, has been frozen for 12 years.
Yet more than 90 per cent of the 27 million pounds raised last year in admission fees from Windsor Castle, which is open most of the year, and Buckingham Palace was spent on works of art in the Royal collection rather than on the buildings.
Some of the palace's grandest staterooms have not been redecorated since the Queen came to the throne in 1952 while the wiring was installed in 1949.
The unwillingness of Buckingham Palace to open more often will disappoint MPs. (ANI)