Agra (Uttar Pradesh), June 20(ANI): A massive fire engulfed a firecracker godown in Jatni Bagh commercial complex of Agra in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday.
The fire engulfed several shops in the complex and gutted some of them, causing panic amongst the people.
The fire, which broke out around midnight in the godown owned by Manoj Jain, was eventually brought under control at six in the morning.
Initial reports suggest an electrical short circuit.
"We received information at around midnight that some fire flames and bursting of firecrackers were noticed in Jatni Bagh commercial complex. Immediately, fire brigade tenders were rushed to the spot," said Badri Prasad Singh, DIG of Agra Range.
"We tried to douse the fire but the fire kept on spreading since the godown consisted of a good lot of firecrackers. The fire also reached the neighbouring plastic shop. As a precautionary measure we asked help from the army. Their fire brigade vehicles had also reached the spot," he added.
The inferno has reportedly caused damage to property and goods worth nearly Rs 15 lakh. (ANI)