NWFP govt. admits security lapses in Pearl Continental Hotel blast

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Peshawar, June 11 (ANI): The North West Frontier Province (NWFP) Government has admitted that there were security lapses which led to the Pearl Continental Hotel blast.

The NWFP Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said there were 'security lapses' leading up to the blast which took place on Tuesday evening.

"One of the vehicles had earlier attracted suspicion and come under fire near the residence of a senior military official, while the electronic barrier at the Pearl Continental was lowered when attackers hit. This shows there were clearly security lapses.There will be an official investigation," Hussain said.

Hussain has ordered an enquiry into the blast, and warned that extremists could trigger similar incidents in future also to avenge the military offensive being carried out against them in the Malakand Division.

"The blast is a reaction to the army offensive in Swat and Malakand. The possibility of this type of terrorist attack cannot be ruled out in future," The Nation quoted Hussain, as saying.

Meanwhile, the death toll in the blast has reached 19, with six more bodies being recovered from the rubble of the hotel building.

Rescue workers recovered bodies of a woman, three foreigners, hotel manager Syed Kamal Ahmad, and PIA captain Muhammed Ayub from the wreckage. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...