Perth (Australia), June 11 (ANI): Former Sri Lanka and currently Western Australia coach Tom Moody is confident that off-spinner Nathan Hauritz will play the first Ashes Test next month.
The New South Wales spinner has taken 14 wickets in four Tests, but is still regarded as a containing bowler rather than a big wicket-taking threat.
Hauritz, 27, who toured South Africa earlier this year, was overlooked for all three Tests.
He is the only specialist slow bowler named by Australia in their 16-man Ashes squad following Victorian leg-spinner Bryce McGain's shocker on debut, taking 0-149 from 18 overs in Cape Town in March.
"Nathan Hauritz is there and would be selected you would think at most venues," Moody told reporters in Perth on Thursday.
"The first Test is at Cardiff (on July 8) and from what I've heard in most matches that have been played there a spinner's been opening the bowling. So, I think Nathan can book his seat for the first Test and Northy (Marcus North) is going to be a good option as a second spinner if it is taking turn," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Moody, as saying.
Moody said Australia is likely to go with Hauritz and not rely simply on part-time spinners North and Simon Katich. (ANI)