Lahore, June 2 (ANI): The Pakistan Government's reservations about producing evidence against the Mumbai terror attacks' mastermind Hafiz Saeed may have been the reason behind the Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief's release from house arrest.
The Lahore High Court has ordered Saeed's release due to lack of evidence, but it is pertinent to note that Pakistan's Attorney General Sardar Latif Khosa had just days ago told the Lahore High Court that the government had enough 'material' to prove Saeed's involvement in terror activities, but it couldn't produce it in the court keeping in mind the 'national security'.
It now seems obvious, that the Pakistan government was posturing all along, without ever being serious about bringing the man branded a terrorist by even the UN to justice.
Earlier, a full bench of the Lahore High Court this morning heard a habeas corpus petition against the detention of Jamat-ud-Dawa leaders Saeed and Colonel (r) Nazir Ahmad.
The bench, comprising Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry, Justice Hasnat Ahmad Khan and Justice Zubdatul Hussain, heard arguments of the petitioners' counsel after those of the attorney general, The News reports.
"The house arrest of Hafiz Saeed is illegal and unconstitutional and termed it as the violation of human rights," petitioners' counsel AK Dogar said.
It should be mentioned that Hafiz Saeed was put under house arrest on December 11, last year, and thus, his release was made after five months and 20 days.
The Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda. (ANI)