Sydney, May 22 (ANI): Twelve months ago, Australian off-spinner Nathan Hauritz was wondering about the coming summer as the third-string spinner behind Stuart MacGill and Beau Casson at New South Wales, but since then, he has emerged as the country's first choice spinner, and believes that he has been picked for what he can deliver.
So, when he was asked how he felt being Shane Warne's successor, Hauritz told the Daily Telegraph: "I never thought about it that way until you just told me. Shane certainly had them in all sorts over there the last 10 years with his bowling. I'm sure they're glad to see the back of him."
"But with him no longer there, it has opened the door for me and given me an opportunity. I won't put any higher expectations on myself or get drawn into anything. I've been picked for what I can do and I'll go out there doing what I've been doing," he added.
His season has been nothing short of remarkable as he was catapulted into the Test side in Adelaide last November.
Hauritz has not looked back since flying to South Africa, then making his mark in the limited-overs format in the Middle East.
The 27-year-old is better known for being economical than as a wicket-taker, but he is sure to relish the English conditions. (ANI)