Mumbai, May 6: A special court in Mumbai will frame charges against Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman aka Azam Amir Kasav, the lone survivor of Mumbai terror attacks on Wednesday, May 6.
A trial court had earlier obtained sanctions from the Centre and the Maharashtra Government to prosecute Kasab and two others.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam filed 'sanctions' that pertain to offences such as waging war against the nation, violation of Customs Act (by illegally bringing firearms to India), infringement of Explosives Act and Explosives Substances Act (using explosives) and Arms Act (opening fire with sophisticated weapons.
The Judge M L Tahaliyani accepted the 'sanctions' and said the court would frame charges against the trio after considering the material against them.
Nikam informed the court that the prosecution had obtained sanction from the Customs Department to prosecute Kasav under Customs Act.
Kasav and his Pakistani associates had brought arms illegally to India to strike terror in Mumbai, the prosecutor said.
Union Government has also given sanction to prosecute Kasav and others under IPC for 'waging war against the nation'.
If found guilty, the accused may face punishment ranging from death sentence to life imprisonment and fine.