Islamabad, May 4 (ANI): Pakistani armed forces have so far killed 80 Taliban in the operation so far in Buner, said Major General Athar Abbas, spokesman Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).
The Taliban in Swat must disarm or face military action, the chief military spokesman said on Sunday.
"Now peace has been restored and the Nizam-e-Adl has been introduced. The miscreants do not have any justification for continuing their armed activities," Major General Abbas told the BBC.
In a press release on Sunday about the military action in Buner, the ISPR said the armed forces had killed 80 Taliban in the operation so far. Three soldiers had also died in the operation and eight others had been wounded, it said.
The dead Taliban include an important commander who the ISPR identified only as Khalil. "His real name is Alam Buneri and [he] was among the mainstream leaders of banned organisation - Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan," the press release said.
According to the military, the security forces have also eliminated 21 vehicles prepared for suicide bombings, and several attackers.
"The operation in Buner is progressing smoothly. Consolidation of positions is being carried out today in Daggar, Buner and surrounding areas," the press release said.
Meanwhile, troops rescued 20 girls trapped in the Daggar Girls College, the press release said. Fifteen of them were evacuated in a vehicle and were sent to Mardan while five were evacuated by helicopter.
Major General Abbas said the areas where the security forces had faced severe resistance had now been cleared of the Taliban.
"The situation is absolutely under control in Buner. The security forces have conducted successful operation on the Ambela-Daggar axis and established linkage with troops at Daggar," he said.
The ISPR director general said the security forces were now clearing landmines that the Taliban had planted in the area. Movement in the area had been restricted until it has been cleared, he added. (ANI)