White House official says sorry for Air Force One Photo Op in New York

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Washington, Apr.28 (ANI): White House Military Office Director Louis Caldera has apologized for any panic caused by a flight mission and photo op that looked like Air Force One and fighter jets heading toward the New York City skyline Monday morning.

Caldera said he approved the mission last week and that federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey.

"It's clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused," Fox News quoted Caldera as saying in a White House statement.The plane that flew in New York Monday was a version of the Boeing 747 that's called Air Force One when the president is aboard.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg blasted the photo opportunity for being insensitive and showing "poor judgment."

In a brief statement after the flight, the New York Police Department acknowledged it was aware the flight was happening, but claimed the Federal Aviation Administration told them not to talk about it.

"The flight of a VC-25 aircraft and F-16 fighters this morning was authorized by the FAA for the vicinity of the Statue of Liberty with directives to local authorities not to disclose information about it but to direct any inquiries to the FAA Air Traffic Security Coordinator," the statement said.

The aircraft is a backup plane that is sometimes used as Air Force One to carry the President of the United States. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...