Chennai, Apr 25 (ANI): Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Saturday said the Davis Cup event is completely safe and secure.
Chidambaram's statement came after the Tennis Australia decided to pull out of the Davis Cup tie against India, which is to be held in Chennai next month.
"The Davis Cup event is completely safe and secure. Foolproof security will be provided for the three days event. It is one event, one stadium, three days no security problem," Chidambaram told reporters here.
Earlier in the day, the Tennis Australia pulled out of the next month's Davis Cup tie against India, citing security concerns after the International Tennis Federation (ITF) rejected their plea to shift the Asia-Oceania Group I tie from Chennai.
"We asked for the tie to be moved because we have major security concerns for the players, particularly during the Indian general election," TA President Geoff Pollard said in a statement.
Pollard further said it would be irresponsible for them to send their players into an area of such high risk.
"The ITF decision has left us with no other option. We cannot send the team. It is extremely disappointing. Davis Cup is very important to us but some things are more important than tennis," he added. (ANI)