Kazmi seeks four weeks' time to study Kasab's case

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Mumbai, Apr21 (ANI): Abbas Kazmi, the newly appointed lawyer of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the November 2008 Mumbai attack, on Tuesday asked for four weeks time to reply to the draft charges proposed by the prosecution.

Kazmi, who was appointed by a Special Sessions Court in Mumbai last week to represent Kasab said that he needed time to study the case.

Kasab has also asked the Court for a copy of chargesheet translated into Urdu since he could not understand the copy provided to him by the police.

On the other hand, Special Public Prosecutor Ujwal Nikam requested the court to order for an inquiry to find out the actual age of Kasab. He also sought that the prosecution should be permitted to submit its findings.

Kazmi said that he had no objection to the prosecution's demand.

The prosecution, on Monday had slapped 312 charges against Kasab and two others for their alleged involvement in the Mumbai terror strikes.

Kazmi had earlier claimed that Kasab was a minor and that the trial should be held in a juvenile court. The court had, however, rejected the application moved by Kasab's lawyer.

Kasab, a Pakistani national, and Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, both Indians, are facing charges under IPC, Arms Act, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Explosives Act, Explosives Substances Act, Passport (entry into India) Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, Railways Act, Customs Act and Foreigners Act.

While Kasab, along with nine others had allegedly killed more than 160 people at several places in Mumbai, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed are accused of drawing maps and handing them over to the militant group Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) in Pakistan. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...