New Delhi, Apr.17 (ANI): Hardeep Singh Puri, currently Secretary (Economic Relations) in the Ministry of External Affairs, has been appointed as the next Ambassador /Permanent Representative of India to United Nations, New York, in succession to Nirupam Sen.
Born in 1952, Puri joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1974. He is married to Lakshmir Puri, also an Indian Foreign Service officer, and has two daughters.
During his 35 years of service, he has served at the Indian missions in Japan, Geneva, Sri Lanka, the United Kingdom and Brazil.
He has also served at the headquarters as Director (Foreign Secretary's Office), Joint Secretary (Americas), Joint Secretary (Navy, P and C) on deputation to Ministry of Defence New Delhi, Joint Secretary (EW) and Secretary (Economic Relations).
He has also written five articles. They are as follows:
1. Article 'Trade Related Investment Measures: Issues for Developing Countries in the Uruguay Round', Published in Uruguay Round, UN 89.
2. 'Negotiating a Multilateral Framework for Trade in Services in the Uruguay Round in UNCTAD', Published on ICRIER/UNCTAD Seminar on Services in New Delhi, Feb. 90.
3. Article 'Trims, Development Aspects and General Agreement', ublished in Uruguay Round, UN 90.
4. 'Brazil and India - A New Dynamic, the Imperatives of ooperation', published in Foreign Service Institute, Indian Foreign Policy -Challenges and Opportunities, 2006.
5. 'IBSA: the First Summit, Brasmlia, 13 September, 2006', published in Foreign Service Institute, Indian Foreign Policy - Challenges and Opportunities, 2006. (ANI)