London, Apr 15 (ANI): After entering the White House as a new member of the family, Bo has made the Portuguese water dog the most talked-about canine in the world.
Now, The Telegraph has compiled a list of 8 interesting facts about the breed. They are:
1. The web-footed Portuguese water dog was actually trained to herd fish into nets along the Algarve coast
2. The breed's name in Portuguese is Cão d'Água, meaning "water dog"3. The first written description of the breed dates to 1297, when a monk wrote of a dying sailor being dragged out of the water by a dog with a "black coat of rough hair"
4. Spanish Armada frequently used the breed to carry messages from ship to ship
5. In the 1960s, the breed was listed as the rarest pedigree
6. The life expectancy of a Portuguese water dog is 12-15 years
7. Technically speaking, the breed isn't hypoallergenic - it just sheds less than other breeds, releasing less of the allergy-causing protein
8. Some experts say the poodle, Kerry blue terrier and Irish water spaniel descend from the Portuguese water dog. (ANI)