Mumbai, Apr 5: The trial date of Azam Amir Kasav aka Mohammed Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone captured terrorist in the Mumbai attacks, has been put off by a week as the construction of the special court is not yet over.
Pakistani national Kasav's trial was scheduled to begin in the premises of Arthur Road central jail on Monday, Apr 6.
"The construction of court's slab is still on and the work is expected to be completed in six to seven days," special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.
Kasav and two others would be produced before the sessions court on Monday, Apr 6 through video conference facility, Nikam said.
This court is now in south Mumbai and would shift to Arthur Road jail after the construction of the new court is over.
Jail authorities were informed by the Public Works Department that the construction work, that began last month, would be over soon.
Only then PWD will be able to hand over the court premises to the jail authorities. A portion of the jail has been segregated for Kasav's cell and the court. The authorities have built a bomb-proof tunnel between Kasab's cell and the court to allow Kasav direct access to the court from the prison.
Earlier TADA court, which conducted the 1993 bomb blast trial was housed here.