Washington, Mar 28 (ANI): Senator John McCain has denounced President Barack Obama's new plan for sending additional troops to Afghanistan, saying it was "not enough" and suggested the President ought to have been clearer that there will be more troop casualties. The Arizona Republican, who contested against Obama last year, said he was glad the President put the issue "front and center," but is worried that Obama hadn't offered a realistic enough picture of the likely increase in casualties that can be expected with the surge of troops.
"The president talked about how tough it is, but I would have begun and ended this speech with how difficult it's going to be and that things are going to get worse before they get better," Mr. McCain told The Washington Times.
Obama announced on Friday that he would be sending 4,000 additional troops to Afghanistan, joining the 17,000 new troops he sent earlier this year. Obama also proposed tripling US non-military aid and boosting the diplomatic effort with a push for more civilian help in the region.
McCain also criticized the Obama Administration's approach on Pakistan, saying the nuclear power nation deserves a separate plan instead of the merged regional plan Obama presented, with a goal of rooting out the Taliban and purging al Qaeda.
McCain also told The Times that the economy factors into war policy for both the United States and its European allies.
Asked his benchmark for success in Afghanistan, McCain answered when it no longer serves as an operating base for terrorist attacks and has a functioning government with a political and economic path to sustained security. (ANI)