Qureshi says foreign hand behind attack on Lankan team in Lahore

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Lahore, Mar 24 (ANI): Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has disclosed that traces of foreign powers' involvement were found in the attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team, and that there was much progress in the probe being conducted in this regard.

According to him, "saying something else on this issue will be premature. Let the probe be completed."

Sources said the rocket-launchers and explosives used in the attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team are in the use with Indian security forces.

According to a forensic report, four rocket-launchers and nine explosives seized from the scene are factory-made and used by Indian forces.

"No suicide jacket was found at the scene, suggesting that they were not on a suicide mission. The SMGs used in the attack are of Russian, German and Chinese made," an investigator said.

Forty grenades, 10 sub-machine guns (SMGs), five pistols, 577 live rounds of SMGs and 160 bullets of pistols were also found there. The terrorists had fired 312 bullets, two rockets and detonated two bombs.

Six policemen and a Pakistan Cricket Board van driver lost their lives when a group of a dozen terrorists ambushed Sri Lankan cricketers' convoy near the Liberty roundabout in Lahore on March 3. Six of the Sri Lankan players suffered injuries.

Although none of the 12 terrorists involved in the gory act has been arrested so far, investigators have come up with a claim based on 'positive leads' that none of the militant organisations in the country had the capacity to carry out the attack without the help of a state agency. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...