Mumbai, Mar 23 (ANI): Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive in the Mumbai terror attacks last year, said that he is a Pakistani national.
Kasab appeared before Special Judge M. L. Tahilyani at the Mumbai Sessions Court via a video link from the city's Arthur Road Jail, where he is being held.
During the hearing today Kasab said he was from Faridkot, in the Punjab area of Pakistan.
He told the court that he agreed to be represented by a court-appointed defence lawyer.
"If there will be a trial, then I will need a lawyer," he said.
The next formal court hearing is scheduled for March 30. The trial proper will follow and will be held in a special high-security courtroom inside the Arthur Road jail.
Earlier, Mumbai Police sent a chargesheet against Kasab to the Home Ministry. Police has also sent answers to the 30 questions asked by the Pakistan authorities.
It is now Centre's prerogative to send reply to the Pakistan Government.
The chargesheet includes the answer to how the boat was hijacked in Gujarat.
It also includes Kasab's confession and transcripts of the conversations by attackers during the Mumbai attacks.
Mumbai police had filed an 11,500-page chargesheet in the terror attacks on February 25 in the Qila court. It had mentioned the names of Kasab and 44 others (including nine killed attackers) involved in the terror attack that claimed over 180 lives.
The chargesheet named LeT as the mastermind behind the attacks. (ANI)