According to the Account Book of Sir John Foulis of Ravelston, the earliest game played on Musselburgh Links took place on March 2, 1672. He also mentions that "Mary, Queen of Scots reputedly played here in 1567".
This documentary evidence was included in The Golf Book Of East Lothian, published in 1896 and written by John Kerr, the minister of Dirleton.
The Old Golf Course, which is now managed by SportPlus on behalf of East Lothian Council, was originally a seven-hole course. The eighth and ninth holes were added in 1838 and 1870 respectively.
Musselburgh Links also hosted the original Open Championships six times between 1874 and 1889.
Throughout the centuries it has been linked to golfing legends, such as Willie Dunn, who won the first unofficial US Open in 1894. John Gourlay, the feather ball maker, and John Carey, arguably the most famous caddie in the history of golf, are also associated with Musselburgh Links.