Washington, Mar 9 (ANI): Superhero blockbuster 'Watchmen' has topped the weekend box office after raking in 55.7 million dollars.
According to studio estimates, Tyler Perry's 'Madea Goes to Jail' landed the second spot with 8.8 million dollars, reports E! Online.
'Taken' came third with 7.5 million dollars while Oscar-winning movie 'Slumdog Millionaire' stood fourth after earning 6.9 million dollars.
'Slumdog Millionaire', which tracks the journey of an 18-year-old boy from rags-to-riches, has won eight Oscars out of the 10 categories it was nominated for.
The flick has not only earned the Best Director gong for Boyle, but also the Best Film award.
It also bagged awards for Original score, Original song, Film Editing, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, and Best Sound Mixing.
'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' rounded off the top five after raking in 4.2 million dollars.
The weekend's top-grossing films are:
1. Watchmen, $55.7 million
2. Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail, $8.8 million
3. Taken, $7.5 million
4. Slumdog Millionaire, $6.9 million
5. Paul Blart: Mall Cop, $4.2 million
6. He's Just Not That Into You, $4 million
7. Coraline, $3.3 million
8. Confessions of a Shopaholic, $3.1 million
9. Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience, $2.8 million
10. Fired Up, $2.6 million (ANI)