New Delhi, Feb 27 (ANI): The 14th Lok Sabha has ended its tenure with the United Progressive Alliance-led by Congress claiming several achievements to its credit and criticising the Opposition for creating hurdles in the passage of several bills.
Congress spokesman Abhishek Manu Singhvi spelt out UPA's achievement during its five-year rule by stating that they had a vision which they carried out successfully.
He highlighted the passage of the Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill despite the walkout staged by the Opposition.
The Bill was passed to ensure that persons displaced by public projects and industries would be rehabilitated.
"Its features are revolutionary. It carries the trademark features of Congress and the UPA initiatives. Those trademark features are innovation, inclusiveness, intelligence and incisive," said Abhishek.
The Opposition had objected to the Bills being rushed through on the penultimate day by contending that no adequate notice was given to discuss the issues.
With the President assenting the Lok Sabha's resolution, the Bill will now be tabled in the Rajya Sabha for approval before being enacted as a law, ahead of ensuing polls.
"This was opposed vehemently for two and a half years by the same persons who opposed it yesterday. They had referred it to a parliamentary committee. They opposed it there and ultimately do not want it to readily be passed in the Lok Sabha. It was only this government, which brought it to the house. We not only passed it, but we sent it to the President, " said Singhvi.
On the contrary, L K Advani, leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha and senior leader of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) lashed out at the Congress.
He blamed the Congress-led UPA Government for landing the country in a crisis situation on many fronts. Further, he termed the Congress party as inefficient in dealing with internal and external challenges.
"On the security front, this government gives an impression of being a weak government with an indecisive leadership," said Advani.
The Land Acquisition Amendment Bill had faced protests from the Left Front, which incidentally had supported the UPA Government till mid-2008.
The Left Front had raised objections to a clause that a company will have to acquire 70 per cent of the land after paying adequate compensation. If there is a hurdle, the Government would step in and acquire the remaining 30 per cent. (ANI)