Los Angeles (US), Feb.20 (ANI): Major League Soccer (MLS) club Los Angeles Galaxy have rubbished A C Milan's claims of them being close to securing England midfielder David Beckham's signature on a contract.
Tim Leiweke, the chief executive of Galaxy's owners AEG, told the Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport on Friday that claims from Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani the previous day that the two sides were close to a deal were 'nonsense'.
"Two weeks ago Milan made a ridiculous offer that took me just a few seconds to reject," he said of the reported three million dollar bid.
"With this figure Galaxy wouldn't even be able to cover the loss in revenue from shirt sales. Since then I haven't heard a thing and no meeting has been set up," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted him as saying further.
Leiweke said that his level of exasperation with Milan was growing by the day.
"I've decided to speak out because I've read too many inaccuracies. After that ridiculous offer we've had no more contact from Milan. They've gone after other people from the League's commissioner to David's representatives, but not us," he said.
Although Beckham has made his desire to shift to Milan clear, Leiweke denies that this has put Milan in a position of strength with regards any transfer.
"If they think they'll get him on the cheap that way, they're wrong," he was quoted, as saying. (ANI)