London, Feb 4 (ANI): Social networking website MySpace has revealed that it has identified and removed 90,000 sex offenders from its site.
The effort to make social networking websites safer had been taken up by North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper and Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.
And as per Cooper, the new figure, submitted by MySpace executives on February 3 to Blumenthal's office, in response to a subpoena, showed that the number of sex offenders removed was 40,000 more than last year.
Both Cooper and Blumenthal had got MySpace and rival Facebook to implement dozens of safeguards to protect children online, last year, with a limit set on older users' ability to search for profiles of members under 18.
"These convicted, registered sex offenders creating profiles under their own names unmasks MySpace's monstrously inadequate countermeasures," the Telegraph quoted Blumenthal, co-leader of the state coalition focused on Internet social-networking safety, as saying.
"MySpace must purge these dangerous offenders now, and rid them for good," he stated.
Hemanshu Nigam, chief security officer at California-based MySpace, said in an e-mailed statement that the offenders had been removed from the site.
"MySpace is proud of its leadership position," he said. (ANI)