Islamabad, Jan 30 (ANI): Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani's Interior Adviser Rehman Malik is confident that law enforcement agencies would succeed in flushing out militants from the Swat Valley in a few weeks, as a new strategy had been worked out to combat the Taliban.
Winding up a discussion on the situation in Swat in the Senate, Malik did not divulge details of the new strategy, but said he was ready to give an in-camera briefing to members of the house.
The Interior Adviser said the situation in Mingora had been brought under control in four to five days through the new policy, The Dawn reported.
He said the organisations behind the trouble in Swat included al Qaeda, Tehrik-i-Taliban led by Maulana Fazlullah, Tanzeem-i-Islami, Tora Bora group and Qari Mushtaq group.
Malik said that Taliban commander Qari Hussain Ahmed is running a camp to train suicide bombers in Waziristan and Maulana Naamdaar had a role in bringing suicide bombers from Waziristan to Swat.
Qari Hussain was reported killed in January 2008 when his house was destroyed in an air strike.
Malik said the objective of the militants was not to enforce Shariat, but to destroy Pakistan.
He said the new strategy would effectively deal with elements challenging the government's writ.
In a blunt warning to the terrorists, he said: "We are after you. We will not let you do what you want to do."
However, he said, the government would continue to pursue its policy of dialogue, development and deterrence, adding that the use of military force was not the only option for restoring peace.
Malik asked the militants to stop killing innocent people, lay down arms and start working for the country.
The adviser said that army contingents and paramilitary forces in Swat had been re-energised, curfew had been imposed in some areas and joint pickets had been set up.
He said schools in the valley would get adequate protection on reopening after winter vacations. (ANI)