London, Jan 26 (ANI): RAF pilots have tried fighting UFOs in the skies over Britain under a top-secret Government directive, a former senior insider has claimed.
Nick Pope, whose 21-year stint at the Ministry of Defence included three years on the UFO desk, revealed the rules of engagement for the first time.
He claimed that RAF pilots had fired at UFOs several times - but couldn't take them out.
"We know of cases where the order has been given to shoot down - with little effect to the UFO," the Sun quoted Pope, as saying.
Pope, from London, said the rules of engagement were drawn up after dozens of close encounters with suspect craft in British airspace.
RAF attacks on UFOs were "not automatic but happen when something in our airspace is deemed to be a threat".
"In the case of UFOs, whether the object is causing a threat is very much a (pilot's) judgment call," he said.
Pope said the orders had been issued under the highly classified directive since the early 1980s.
He also claimed credible UFO witness statements had come from dozens of near misses with planes, police helicopters and RAF jets in recent years.
The MoD did not comment. (ANI)