London, Jan 17 (ANI): The terrifying white witch from 'Chronicles of Narnia' has been voted the scariest ever-fictional baddy in a new poll.
It topped the poll by Penguin books in which 600 grown-up readers were asked to identify most frightening literary characters from children's books.
The list of top 10 scary characters in kids-literature was compiled to celebrate the publication of Mr Toppit, a novel based on children's writer Arthur Hayman.
And as it turns out the white witch from the 1950 CS Lewis classic, menacingly played on the big screen by Tilda Swinton, was named the scariest of them all.At the second place was Captain Hook from 'Peter Pan', who is believed to be was far more scarier in the original 1904 book than the comical versions in the Disney cartoon, other movies and pantos.
The Grand High Witch from Roald Dahl's 1983 book 'The Witches' stood at the third place, reports The Telegraph.
Rounding off at fourth and fifth place were two evil mothers- Snow White's wicked stepmother from the Brothers Grimm story which dates back to 1810 and Cruella de Vil from the 1956 book 'The Hundred and One Dalmatians' respectively.
Top 10 scary characters:
1. White Witch (The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis - 1950)
2. Captain Hook (Peter Pan by J M Barrie - 1904)
3. The Grand High Witch (The Witches by Roald Dahl - 1983)
4. Wicked Stepmother (Snow White by Brothers Grimm - 1810)
5. Cruella de Vil (The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith - 1956)
6. Voldemort (Harry Potter books by J K Rowling - 1997)
7. The Child Catcher (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming though in the1968 film not book)
8. Miss Trunchbull (Matilda by Roald Dahl - 1988)
9. The Wolf (Red Riding Hood by Brothers Grimm - 1810)
10. Long John Silver (Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - 1883)ANI)