Bangkok, Jan 1 (ANI): At least 59 people died in a fire thought to have been started by an indoor fireworks display at a Bangkok nightclub during New Year's Eve celebrations. According to The Telegraph, nearly 200 others were injured in the blaze at the upmarket Santika nightclub, which is popular with foreign tourists and was full to its 1,000-person capacity.
It is thought that hundreds of partygoers were trapped in the two-storey building and had to trample over each other to flee as flames engulfed the nightclub's stage.
The blaze completely gutted the building.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but police suggested that firecrackers could have been the cause.
Almost all the dead were on the ground floor of the club, where the stage was located. (ANI)