Sydney, Dec 24: Indian born doctor Mohamed Haneef, who was wrongly dubbed as terror suspect, said that he has no grudges against Australia. He was of the opinion that he may even return to live here despite a scathing report that exposes blunders by the country's top security officials and politicians.
Mistakes were made 'at the highest level' and action would taken against those government officials, said Attorney-General Robert McClelland. He released the 310-page report by the former Supreme Court judge John Clarke, QC. He revealed that an uncoordinated security and police apparatus that was blind to assessments particularly from ASIO that the Indian-born doctor was not a threat.
The report 'gives me a clean sheet - that I was totally innocent'. said a relieved Dr Haneef from Dubai, where he resides now. While he said that he held no resentment for Australia, he did want an apology, but both the Rudd Government and the Coalition have refused to say sorry. The report found that the Australian Federal Police commander who led the investigation, Ramzi Jabbour, had 'lost objectivity' and the senior prosecutor, Clive Porritt, gave advice that was 'obviously wrong and should never have been given.'
The report which follows an inquiry into the charging, release and deportation of Dr Haneef last year over alleged links to a botched terrorist attack at Glasgow Airport. The report also includes damaging insights into the handling of the case by two senior Howard Govt cabinet members, Kevin Andrews and Philip Ruddock.
It describes the decision by Andrews, the then Immigration Minister, to revoke Dr Haneef's visa as 'mystifying'. McClelland said he had 'full confidence' in all agency heads, including the AFP Commissioner, Mick Keelty, and was not empowered to take disciplinary action against junior officers criticised in the report.
He said his lawyers would decide on whether to pursue a compensation claim.