Oz Govt. admits inadequate evidence to declare Haneef's guilty

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Melbourne, Dec 23 (ANI): The Australian Government has admitted that mistakes were made at the highest level in Indian born doctor Mohamed Haneef's case, adding that no action will be taken against the nation's top cop or any other agency head.

Dr Haneef was wrongly charged and wrongly detained on the Gold Coast last year over suspected links to terrorist acts in the UK, according to a report by retired New South Wales Supreme Court judge John Clarke.

The Australian Federal Police have accepted the findings of the inquiry and Attorney-General Robert McClelland said that mistakes had been made from officer level to the highest level.

"At the end of the day political leaders and agency heads must accept responsibility for errors that occurred on their watch. But we have full confidence in all agency heads," he said.

AFP Commissioner Mick Keelty and other agency heads will not be stood down over the report's findings, news.com.au reported.

Asked about the issue of an apology to Dr Haneef, McClelland said that question should be addressed to those who were in government at the time.The inquiry into Dr Haneef's arrest on terrorism-related charges found he should not have been charged and the cancellation of his visa and his deportation should have been deferred.

"The AFP agrees with the description given by the Attorney General that the Clarke report is balanced, thorough and constructive as well as considering it to be a comprehensive account of the events and circumstances of this particular investigation," the AFP said in a statement.

"The AFP is strongly committed to working with the Australian government to ensure all the inquiry's recommendations are implemented," the statement added.

Dr Haneef's Brisbane-based lawyer Peter Russo said the findings would bring relief to his client. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...