Washington, Dec 16 (ANI): An article carried out in the National Geographic News has outlined the top ten news stories in the field of science in the year 2008.
The stories are:
10. Total Solar Eclipse on August 1: Where, How to See It:he eclipse's path of totality swept across northern Canada into central Russia and Mongolia before ending in China.
9. Bigfoot Discovery Declared a Hoax:hockingly, no evidence emerged to support the claimed discovery in August of the corpse of a seven-foot-tall (two-meter-tall) Sasquatch in the southern U.S.
8. Oldest Living Tree Found in Sweden: 9,550-year-old "Christmas tree" discovered on a Swedish mountain is the planet's most ancient known living plant, scientists announced in April.
7. Great Pyramid Mystery to Be Solved by Hidden Room?he discovery of a sealed space in Egypt's Great Pyramid, announced this past fall, may help solve a centuries-old mystery: How did the ancient Egyptians move two million 2.5-ton blocks to build the ancient wonder?
6. Sky Show December 1: Jupiter, Venus, Moon Make "Frown"he planetary bodies shone just a few degrees apart in an unusual cosmic conjunction on November 30, joined by the moon for a celestial trifecta on December 1.
5. Hurricane Gustav to Become Gulf Coast Monster?urricane Gustav was on the cusp of becoming a supercharged storm on August 27, when experts said developing high-pressure system could deflect it into the central Gulf of Mexico.
4. Unknown "Structures" Tugging at Universe, Study Sayshe universe is racing toward something beyond it, a study found this past fall. This "dark flow" may be evidence that our universe is part of something bigger-the multiverse.
3. Portal to Maya Underworld Found in Mexico? newfound underground labyrinth filled with stone temples and pyramids-some underwater-likely relates to Maya myths of the afterlife, archaeologists said in August.
2. Large Hadron Collider "Actually Worked"he atom smasher's first step toward recreating post-big bang conditions was a September success. "Oh wow," exclaimed one scientist at the event, "it actually worked!" Just days later, it broke down.
1. Alien-like Squid With "Elbows" Filmed at Drilling Sitet an extremely deep oil-drilling site, a remote control submersible's camera captured an eerie surprise: an alien-like, long-armed, and "elbowed" Magnapinna squid, scientists said in November. (ANI)