Nagpur, Dec 7: Nagpur police on Sunday, Dec 7 has said that they have found explosives in a hospital. Reports say that a man warned Aziz Khan, a doctor at Crescent Hospital that a bomb had been placed near the hospital entrance and threatened of dire consequences within ten minutes.
Patients were evacuated and a police bomb squad and sniffer dog were called in. Police said they recovered the explosives and an investigation was on. “While searching after the call we found a black polythene (bag) inside a wooden box, which a boy took out. Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) team came here and took it on a trolley. Scanning of the polythene (bag) is on. The call came from the Dhantoli phone booth and further investigation is on. We cannot say anything on the composition of bomb now," said Lakhmi Gautam, Commissioner of Police, Nagpur.
Nagpur is home to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has accused the ruling Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) coalition of being weak on security. At least 197 people were killed in the attacks last week in which ten terrorists struck two luxury hotels and other landmarks in Mumbai.
Earlier on Saturday, Dec 6 police arrested two men, who helped the Mumbai attackers get mobile phone cards, which they used for communications during their three-day rampage. Kolkata police identified the men as Tausif Rehman and Mukhtar Ahmed and said they were picked up on Friday after investigators traced some of the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) cards recovered from the terrorists.
Mumbai police have said the terrorists were controlled by the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) group blamed for earlier attacks in India, including a 2001 assault on Indian parliament that nearly sparked a war between India and Pakistan.
LeT is on US and Indian terrorist lists and Indian police say two of its operations leaders, designated terrorists by Washington in May, coordinated the Mumbai rampage.
There has been public anger at intelligence failures in preventing the attacks. India's newly appointed Home Minister P Chidambaram admitted on Friday, Dec 5 that there had been lapses.
Pakistan's newspaper Dawn reported on Saturday, Dec 6 that Pakistan had put its forces on high alert after a hoax caller pretending to be Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee spoke threateningly to President Asif Ali Zardari two days after the attacks.