6:00 PM 11/29/2008
Mumbai, Nov 29: The toll in the worst-ever terror attacks in the city mounted to 195 as several bodies were taken out from the besieged Hotel Trident and Nariman House after completion of the 59-hour-long commando operations.
The figure is expected to be much higher, as casualty figure in the Taj Hotel is yet to be known. Sources in the Disaster Management of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said 195 people were killed, including 10 foreigners and 15 police personnel. Besides, 295 others were wounded. The injured had been admitted to several hospitals in the city. Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police (ACP) Ashok Kamte, encounter specialist and Senior Inspector Vijay Salaskar were killed in the exchange of fire at Cama Hospital in south Mumbai on Wednesday night.
Apart from them, National Security Guard (NSG) Major Sandeep Unnithan and two commandos died during the operation and a commando injured in Nariman House battle.
Police said 10 terrorists were gunned down in the operation and another was injured. A large number of arms and ammunition were recovered from the Hotel Trident, Hotel Taj Mahal and Nariman House.