Wellington, Nov.29 : Ten New Zealanders are still unaccounted for in India, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) says there are no fears for their safety.
According to a New Zealand Press Association (NZPA) report, MFAT had received inquiries regarding 193 New Zealanders in India in the wake of gunfire and explosions rocking a luxury Mumbai hotel early on Saturday, with 183 confirmed as safe as well.
"We are still making inquiries about 10. Not all the 10 are necessarily in Mumbai. At this stage we have no reason to be concerned about any of the 10," MFAT said in a statement.
Three New Zealanders - Vinka and David Clemmett and Stuart Cameron - had been trapped in their Mumbai hotels, but managed to escape yesterday.
MFAT said two consular officials from the New Zealand High Commission were now in Mumbai and are assisting New Zealanders there.
New Zealanders in Mumbai have been told to contact the New Zealand High Commission in New Delhi and with friends and family in New Zealand to allay any concerns.