Hussain urges ECB to take decisive action on Tests

Subscribe to Oneindia News

London, Nov 28 (UNI) Former skipper Nasser Hussain has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) not to force the English players to return to India for next month's Test series if the security situation fails to improve.

England, who were trailing the one-day series 0-5, have cancelled the remaining two matches in the wake of the terror strike in Mumbai.

However, both the BCCI and the ECB said they are confident of the two-match Test series going ahead as scheduled next month.

But Hussain feels the views of the players should be taken into account.

''The ECB should first ask the players whether they want to return to India.

''If the rumours are true and they are not intending to return, it is imperative they (the ECB officials) make an announcement to that effect as soon as they arrive back.

''If they have decided to abandon the tour for safety reasons, that shows they are taking their duty of care for the players seriously,'' he stressed.

Hussain further lavished praise on the ECB for the way it has handled the situation so far and called on the administrators to continue being decisive in their decisions.

The former captain told the 'Daily Mail', ''This is exactly what the ECB needed to do -- take decisive action straightaway so the players weren't left stewing in their hotel. They have shown strong leadership but must carry on being strong when they get home.'' UNI XC PY AB KN1414

Please Wait while comments are loading...