Adelaide, Nov 27 : Australia cricket captain Ricky Ponting has reportedly backed Cricket Australia's decision to ban players from traveling to India for a Twenty20 series following the Mumbai terror attacks, in which more than 100 people are feared dead so far.
Ponting said the attacks had caused "massive concern".
Western Australia and Victoria were scheduled to play next week in the Champions Twenty20 League along with Test stars Mike Hussey, Matthew Hayden and Shane Watson and Shane Warne representing Indian Premier League teams, but their travel to India was cancelled by CA after the reports of the terror strikes emerged.
"That has been the whole talk around the breakfast room this morning and certainly even at the start of training was about this incident.
It goes to show the level of concern that we're showing towards it. Everyone who's playing in the event or wants to see the event do well would like to see it go ahead.
So if that means moving it to a different country then I guess I'd support that," the Courier Mail quoted Ponting as saying today at the Adelaide Oval.
He added: "They (CA) have said that any cricket travel has been cancelled at the moment. I think that's definitely the right decision right now. Those travel plans could change pretty quickly as well. We'll just wait and see what happens.
It's a horrible thing to have happened. Matty (Hayden) is supposed to be going there at the end of this game. We would hope that it could all be sorted out as soon as possible."
Hayden said if the tournament was cancelled it would be a "huge loss" for international cricket. "But the impact is minor compared to the social and economic impacts that it will have on India. And I guess from our point of view having a great affiliation with the country, we are just so disappointed and shattered for the lives of the people that have been affected by it and the lives of the people who will be affected by it in the future."