Sydney, Nov 27 : Following Mumbai's terror strikes killing more than 100 people, Cricket Australia has reportedly suspended plans for the Victorian and West Australian sides, besides other Test stars, to fly out to India for the Champions League Twenty20 competition beginning December 3.
The Aussies were scheduled to stay at the Taj Mahal Hotel, which was one of the prime targets of the terrorists.
The players, including Matthew Hayden, Michael Hussey, his brother David, Peter Siddle, Cameron White, Shane Warne and Shane Watson were due to arrive in India over the next week for the Champions League, of which some matches are to be played in Mumbai.
Middlesex had already pulled out of the tournament. Its captain Shaun Udal said on Wednesday the English county would not be traveling to Mumbai as planned following the attacks. The team were due to fly to Mumbai on Thursday for the inaugural Twenty20 Champions League, but former England off-spinner Udal was quoted as saying: "All we know is our flight has been cancelled in the morning."
The Victorian side was due to check into the Taj Hotel, which was stormed by gunmen in the strikes, and members were due to arrive there Friday and Saturday. "We need to review at least some of our travel plans. We were due to fly to Mumbai and stay at the Taj but at this stage we are taking advice from Cricket Australia whose security people are reviewing the situation," The Australian quoted Victorian spokesman Eivion Bowen as saying.
Cricket Australia said it had placed a temporary halt to the tour. One of spokesman said: "Given the circumstances Cricket Australia has put an immediate hold on any cricket related travel to India. We are in ongoing contact with DFAT, our own security expert in India, the Australian Cricketers Association and our own playing groups and stake holders. In circumstances like these it always takes 12 hours for clear details to emerge and we will continue to monitor the situation for now."