Mumbai, Nov 27 (UNI) Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh today expressed confidence that the operations against the terrorists, who had laid siege to two five-star hotels and a building in Nariman point in south Mumbai will end by tomorrow morning.
Talking to newspersons here, he said the National Security Guards (NSG) spearheaded the operations, in which the Army and the Navy personnel were also involved, were being carried out methodically to flush out the terrorists at the more than a century old Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, Trident hotel and Nariman Bhavan, where an unspecified number of terrorists had laid siege. He said none of the guests at the hotels had been taken as hostage by the terrorists.
Since the terrorist attacks began at 2200 hrs last night, 101 people were killed and 288 injured. They deceased included 14 policemen, including top officials and eight militants, he added.
Among the condition of six was said to be serious and twelve policemen were also injured.
Though Mr Deshmukh could not give the number of terrorists involved in 13 attacks and blasts, he said it was suspected that 20 to 25 of them had entered the city through sea route. Among them, one person had already been nabbed.
He said six columns of Army personnel and a large number of Naval men, besides 200 NSG guards, were involved in the flushing out opeations. More NSG guards were expected to join the operations, he added.
Mr Deshmukh said no dialogue had taken place with the terrorists and no ransom demand has been made.
The operations would end either by tonight or latest by tomorrow morning, in view of the methodical manner in which the operations were conducted by clearing floor by floor, he added.
The chief minister said the exact number of casualties would be known only after the operation ends.
He disclosed that the attack might have been taken up to stop the foreign investments in the country.
UNI JM VK OBB SBC RN1844