Mumbai, Nov.27 : A little-known militant group going by the name of "Deccan Mujahideen" today claimed responsibility for the coordinated terror strikes in Mumbai on Wednesday night.
The previously unknown or little known group sent an e-mail to news organisations claiming responsibility.
Indian journalist Ameet Sha told a private TV channel there was no confirmation but the pattern suggested involvement of Laskar-e-Toiba.
She said terrorist attacks of such a magnitude and the participation of such a large number of gunmen raised questions on the security situation in India.
The identity and nature of the attack has left security agencies baffled.
In the camera shots of a suspected terrorist show him with an AK-47 assault rifle, dressed in a black half T-shirt and jeans with a blue rucksack hung over his left shoulder and red sacred thread tied on his right wrist.
What has left security agencies baffled is the sacred thread tied on his wrist which many say could be a plot to show that the attack was undertaken by probably an extreme Hindu group, but the claim of the Deccan Mujahideen has put this view in doubt.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh has told the media here that the terrorists came in boats and struck at 10 places but their number is not known immediately.
The terror attacks began between 9 pm and 9.15 pm with indiscriminate firing and bomb blasts, Deshmukh said.
At least two sten guns have been recovered from the terrorists, the Chief Minister said.
To a question, he said it was not immediately known as to who was involved in the attacks as the entire police force is concentrating on saving lives.
He said around 200 National Security Guard (NSG) commandos had been dispatched from Delhi for the operation to flush out terrorists.
Asked whether foreigners were the target of the attacks, the Chief Minister disagreed, saying it could not be said.