London, Nov 21 : 'Citizen Kane', a 1941 American dramatic film and the first feature film directed by Orson Welles, has topped Cahiers du Cinema magazine's list of 'The Best 100 Movies'.
Second on the list is 1955's 'The Night of the Hunter' by Charles Laughton while 1939's 'The Rules of the Game' by Jean Renoir came third, reports the Independent.
'Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans' by Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau landed the fourth spot.
Rounding off the top five was 1934's 'L'Atalante', a 1934 French film directed by Jean Vigo and starring Jean Daste, Dita Parlo and Michel Simon.
The top 20 movies, according to Cahiers du Cinema:
1. Citizen Kane, 1941, Orson Welles
2. The Night of the Hunter, 1955, Charles Laughton
3. The Rules of the Game, 1939 (La R¨gle du jeu), Jean Renoir
4. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, 1927, Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau
5. L'Atalante, 1934, Jean Vigo
6. M, 1931, Fritz Lang
7. Singin' in the Rain, 1952, Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen
8. Vertigo, 1958, Alfred Hitchcock
9. Children of Paradise, 1945 (Les Enfants du Paradis), Marcel Carne
10. The Searchers, 1956, John Ford