The accident took place in the office canteen during the lunch break. A few staff members were holding an eating competition in which the participant who would eat maximum number of cakes/ pastries in the stipulated time period was to be declared the winner, an employee of the company informed. When Saurabh's turn came, he in a bid to win the competition, started eating fast, the employee said adding, "he had hardly eaten a few pastries when his throat choked and he attempted to vomit but failed.
"In the mean time his face turned red and he fell unconscious," he lamented. Saurabh's colleagues rushed him to a private hospital where he was declared brought dead, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Rakesh Arya said. Arya said that the real cause of his death would come out only after the postmortem.
However, Dr Sushan Sharma of the Max Hospital who attended on Saurabh informed that after preliminary examination it was found that his wind pipe was full of pastry and cakes and he had certainly died due to blockage in wind pipe.