Orissa continues to remain power surplus

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bhubaneswar, Nov 11 (UNI) With a comfortable power position, Orissa will continue to remain a power surplus state in the coming years, State Energy Secretary Suresh Chandra Mohapatra said here today.

Talking to newspersons after a meeting to assess the progress of the power projects in the state, Mr Mohapatra said at present the state had a power surplus of 1000 MW as it was getting 4000 MW of power, including the Central share, against the demand of 3000 MW of power.

The meeting reviewed the power projects - Monet Power limited, Navabharat Power, Sterlite Energy, Bhushan Energy, Visa Power Ltd and Lanco Group of Energy.

The Energy Secretary said after completion of electrification of rural areas in the next five years, the domestic demand was expected to go up by 700 MW.

Mr Mohapatra said except only a couple of plants the progress of work in the remaining power projects was satisfactory. The first unit of the 2400 MW power project of the Sterlite energy at Jharsuguda would be commissioned in September 2009.

He said the other three units of the project would be commissioned at an interval of three months each and the company was asked to give the state's share of 600 MW.

Similarly the first two units of 150 MW each of the Bhusan Energy would be commissioned in December next. Bhushan will give 150 MW of power to the state-owned GRIDCO as per the agreement.

The Energy secretary said more companies were interested in setting up their units in the Angul, Dhenkanal and Jharsuguda belt, but keeping the water problem and pollution problem in view they had been asked to relocate their plants.

A decision was also taken to maintain at least 20 km distance between two power plants, he said.

UNI BD-DP SJC RN1813

Please Wait while comments are loading...