London, Nov 10 : English comedian Russell Brand has revealed that his infamous broadcast with Jonathan Ross had been toned down to take out the "more personal stuff" before it went on air.
The broadcast had caused a huge controversy when listeners to Brand's BBC Radio 2 show heard them leaving obscene answer phone messages for the actor Andrew Sachs.
According to the Observer, Brand believed Sachs had agreed to let the show go out if they toned it down, which they did. "We were told that Andrew Sachs had okayed it," the BBC quoted Brand as having told the paper.
"The grey area is that our brilliant young producer Nic Philps called Andrew Sachs afterwards and said: 'Is it OK, can we use it, do you mind?' "And he said: 'Oh yeah, but can you tone it down a bit?' So we did. We took out the more personal stuff," he stated.
Brand, who did not give further details of the material that was edited out, told the Observer that there was "no malicious intent". "What's difficult about the whole thing is that it was completely devoid of malice, and there's been a retrospective application of cruelty and intention to cause offence," he added.