Mumbai, Nov 8 (UNI) The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) today arrested two more persons in connection with the September 29 Malegaon blast.
Confirming the news, the ATS sources said the two suspects were picked up from Vapi in Gujarat and Pune. However, they refused to reveal their identities.
With today's arrests, eleven people, including Sadhvi Paragnya Singh Thakur and serving army personnel Lt Col P S Purohit, have so far been arrested in this connection.
ATS officials said all the accused arrested for their alleged involvement in the blast could be booked under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA). The process of gathering evidence for applying the Act is in progress, they informed.
Under MCOCA, those convicted can get a maximum punishment of life imprisonment and a minimum of five years. Police can keep the accused in detention for 180 days to file their chargesheet as against the normal 90-day period.
The blast occurred on September 29 in the powerloom city of Malegaon, and left six people dead and several persons injured.
The suspects involved in the case have been booked under various sections of the IPC including for murder and conspiracy, Indian Explosives Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
UNI AAA SSS AKJ HT2010