Force India cancels engine contract with Ferrari

Subscribe to Oneindia News

London, Nov 7 (UNI) The Force India Formula One team today announced that it has terminated the contract with Ferrari a year early and is expected to switch to Mercedes engines next season.

The Silverstone-based Force India team, which is yet to get a single point in the season so far, said in a statement that the Ferrari deal had been terminated at their request.

However, it gave no details about a new supplier but its owner Vijay Mallya has been negotiating with McLaren for an entire drivetrain (engine and gearbox) package as well as the new kinetic energy recovery system (KERS), which would be introduced by next year.

Mallya had already made it public before the last week's Brazilian Grand Prix that he was talking to both Ferrari and McLaren but said the former could not confirm whether it will be able to provide Force India hat it wanted.

However, the liquor baron has offered to compensate Ferrari for any development costs incurred on Force India's behalf for 2009.

Force India inherited their Ferrari engine deal from predecessors Spyker, who sold out to Mallya and Dutch co-owner Michiel Mol last year.

Mercedes own 40 per cent of McLaren, with their engines powering Britain's Lewis Hamilton to the title this year.

UNI XC RAR PY HT2024

Please Wait while comments are loading...