Sachin gets threat from JeM

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Nagpur, Nov 3 (UNI) Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar will be provided extra security cover due to the possible threat from terrorist outfit Jash-e-Mohammad, Nagpur police said here today.

India is scheduled to play the final Test against Australia on November 6 at the newly constructed Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) stadium here.

Nagpur Police Commissioner, Pravin Dixit said, ''We have received information from the Centre on a possible threat to Sachin Tendulkar from Jaish-e-Mohammed. Following which we have tightened the security in and around the stadium and have provided extra cover for Sachin.'' Sachin had, earlier, clearly stated that he was relatively safe in India, which now is being questioned after the news of a possible threat.

The star cricketer had said, ''I don't think, it bothers us. It is our home-land, in our homeland, no one can harm us. We've got full confidence that nothing bad and untoward will happen during the series. This is our home-land, so we should feel free to move wherever and whenever we want to.'' The 35-year-old has already walked into the record books by surpassing West Indian Brian Lara's Test record of highest run-getter at Mohali in the second Test which the hosts won handsomely to go 1-0 up in the Border-Gavaskar series.

Tendulkar is also all set to complete 100 catches, having pouched 99 so far in 153 Tests, and has 90 scores of 50 and above, inclusive of 39 centuries, and is on par with Australian great Allan Border.

However, it was not for the first time that Tendulkar received terror threats.

In 2007, there were intelligence reports of terrorists planning to attack an India-West Indies One-Day International venue at Barabati Stadium in Cuttack where the teams played the second match on January 24.

UNI XC PY RAR HS1546

Please Wait while comments are loading...