Guwahati, Oct 30 (UNI) Assam was today ripped apart by the most devastating terrorist attack of its history as 12 synchronized blasts left at least 48 dead and more than 300 injured, several of them critically, in lower Assam.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, however, said the toll might go up as at least 50 people were struggling for life in various hospitals here.
'' There have been 12 bomb blasts in Guwahati, Kokrajhar, Barpeta Road and Bongaigaon in which 48 people were killed and more than 300 injured, '' he added.
Guwahati suffered five blasts at Ganeshguri, Panbazar and Fancy Bazar, while Kokrajhar witnessed three, Barpeta Road and Bongaigaon two each, sending the state into complete chaos. In fact the militants boobytrapped at Ganeshguri by exploding three back to back bombs.
Police suspected the involvement of Islamic militants behind the blasts as they had been active in the state for quite sometime.
On the other hand, the proscribed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) quickly denied any involvement through an e-mail.
The attack had left the state administration shattered and security apparatus collapsed as angry mob went berserk, attacking police and journalists, setting afire at least half a dozen government vehicles and forcing the authorities to open fire and finally clamp indefinite curfew in the capital city.
DIG G P Singh told newsmen that Ganhesguri bore the brunt as more than 20 people were killed here. Plumes of black smokes were seen billowing from at least three km as about 25 vehicles got burnt.
The other two blasts occurred before the CJM court as well as busy Fancy Bazar area, but fortunately casualties in those two areas were less.
MORE UNI MT SJC AB 1656