One killed in ammonia gas leakage in Panoli GIDC

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Vadodara, Oct 18 (UNI) One woman labourer was killed and her nine-year-old daughter was injured critically following the leakage of ammonia gas from a chemical factory in Panoli Gujrat Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) near Ankleswar in Bharuch district today.

Police sources said the accident occurred during the refilling of toxic gas to a factory storage tank from a tanker when the pipeline snapped, leading to leakage.

Though other workers managed to escape, 36-year-old Sarda Singh fell unconscious on the spot along with her minor daughter Sreenath.

Both were admitted to the local hospital, where Sarda breathed her last.

As a precautionary measure, all neighbouring industrial units were closed down and workers were asked to vacate the area. The situation was brought under control after fire brigade personnel plugged the leakage.

Ankaleswar rural police have registered a case against the factory owner, Narendrasinh Varma, a resident of Vadodara.

The factory inspectorate is also investigating the mishap, which reportedly took place due to lack of proper safety measures in the chemical plant.

UNI SS AB RR RAI2144

Please Wait while comments are loading...