Attack on LTTE will continue: Rajapaksa

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Colombo, Oct 17: Sri Lanka will continue its military offensive with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and a ceasefire isn"t possible, the country"s President has said in response to demands by politicians in Tamil Nadu.

Mahinda Rajapaksa said the military offensive against the rebels in Kilinochchi would continue, announced the state-run Sri Lankan Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) on Thursday, Oct 16. Rajapaksa has informed India that the offensive cannot be stopped as demanded by the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, and other politicians of the state. The LTTE leadership had sent suicide bombers to assassinate leaders of the Sri Lakan military, he said.

A Sri Lankan Foreign Ministry spokesperson had on Wednesday night said the offensive wouldn"t target civilians.

"We have put in a zero-civilian doctrine in place in the areas bordering the government-controlled and the LTTE-held areas in the north," said the spokesperson.

Civilian casualty had been minimal and the displaced persons were being provided relief on an emergency basis, the spokesperson said.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...