Chennai, Oct 13 (UNI) The Tamil Nadu Government today announced the withdrawal of 3.5 per cent exclusive reservation for Christian Backward Classes(BCs) as it did not prove beneficial to them.
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi ordered the withdrawal of the exclusive reservation following a representation from various Christian leaders, Bishops and priests, an official release said.
In a memorandum to the Chief Minister, representaives of various Christian denominations, said the State government came out with a Legislation providing 3.5 per cent reservation each for minority Christians and Muslims in admission in educational institutions and jobs.
However, when the Act came into force, it was found that the Christians secured less number of seats in admissions and jobs and demanded that the Government do away with the exclusive reservation for Christians.
Considering their plea, Mr Karunanidhi said the Government had ordered exclusive reservation for Muslims and Christians on September 15 last year to protect their interests.
''Now the Christian community have expressed apprehensions that it has proved to be a setback for them. While the Muslims welcome the exclusive 3.5 per cent reservation, the christians had pointed out that it was not beneficial to them'', he said.
''Hence the government had decided to withdraw the exclusive reservation in respect of Christians. Necessary amendments would be brought to the Law'', Mr Karunanidhi said and added that the backward class Christians would continue to benefit by the reservation in the 30 per cent quota meant for backward class.
Chennai-Mylapore Diocese Bishop Chinnappa, Nagercoil Bishop Peter Remigius, CSI Bishop Deivasagayam, Congress Whip Peter Alphonse, Backward Classess Welfare Commissioner Vincent Chinnadurai were among those who called the Chief Minister at the State Secretariat and presented the memorandum.
State Ministers Arcot N Veerasamy, K Ponmudy, N Suresh Rajan and Ms Geetha Jeevan were also present on the occasion.
UNI WS GV KVV SY VC1422