Rupnagar, Oct 4 (UNI) One worker has died and six others were reported sick due to due to leakage of chlorine gas in Punjab Alkalies and Chemicals Limited (PACL), Plant in Nangal town of Rupnagar district last evening.
According to information the incident occurred around 1900 hours yesterday when chlorine gas leaked from a pipeline of chlorine plant as a result of which the contract workers, working in the plant were taking bath at a water tap there while coming out of the plant after completing their work.
As a result of leakage of the gas seven workers fallen sick, who were rushed to the BBMB hospital Nangal from where one of them Sweet Chaudhary(40) was referred to PGI Chandigarh in critical condition, however he died on the way.
All these workers were working with a salt contractor of the plant.
It may be mentioned that the PACL manufacture Caustic Soda and its byproducts Hydrochloric Acid and chlorine at Nangal Plant.
Former Punjab Minister Madan Mohan Mittal has expressed grief and sorrow over the death of worker in the gas leakage. He demanded an enquiry into the incident and action against erring persons.
When contacted PACL General Manager J.C.Babbar said investigations would be conducted in to the leakage of chlorine gas in the plant and steps would be taken to prevent reoccurrence of such incidents in future.
UNI XC HS VN2057